Understanding by Design lesson plan template
If you want to use this template on your iPad:
- Press and hold your finger on the text
- When you see "copy" and the blue dragging buttons, drag the button until the whole text is selected
- Press on the word "copy"
- Open the Notes program or any other word processor you have on the iPad
- Open a new note or document
- Press your finger on the screen until you have the option to Paste
- Select this text and delete it
For aYouTube video of these directions, go to:
Now you can respond to the questions to use the template...
Understanding by Design Template with questions
Stage 1 - Desired Outcome
* What relevant goals (e.g. content standards, course or program objective, learning outcomes) will this design address?
Students will understand that...
* What are the big ideas?
* What specific understandings about them are desired?
* What misunderstandings are predictable?
* What provocative questions will foster inquiry, understanding, and transfer of learning?
Students will know . . .Students will be able to
* What key knowledge and skills will students acquire as a result of this unit?
* What should they eventually be able to do as a result of such knowledge and skill?
Stage 2 - Assessment Evidence
* Through what authentic performance tasks will students demonstrate the desired understandings?
* By what criteria will performances of understanding be judged?
* Through what other evidence (e.g. quizzes, tests, academic prompts, observations, homework, journals) will students demonstrate achievement of the desired results?
* How will students reflect upon on self-assess their learning?
Stage 3 - Learning Plan
What learning experiences and instruction will enable students to achieve the desired results?
How will the design:
W = Help the students know Where the unit is going and What is expected? Help the teacher know Where the students are coming from (prior knowledge, interests)?
H = Hook all students, and Hold their interest?
E = Equip students, help them Experience the key ideas and Explore the issue?
R = Provide opportunities to Rethink and Revise their understandings and work?
E = Allow students to Evaluate their work and its implications?
T = be Tailored (personalized) to the different needs, interests, and abilities of learners?
O = Be Organized to maximize initial and sustained engagement as well as effective learning?
Adapted from ASCD Resources from the book Understanding by Design by Grant Wiggins and Jay McTighe and the template located at https://stusvcweb.madison.k12.wi.us/files/stusvc/UBD_Template_1.doc